Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 4 - Baking

Well quite obviously these posts are not running in daily format and I have to confess that I have had so much 'joy' taken from my life recently that I have very little happiness going on right now. I decided though I will think of something today that really gives me happiness to get rid of my humdrum feeling.
So today what gives me immense joy is baking. I have always loved baking and when our children were younger I baked every day. There were always cake or biscuits, scones or pudding to eat.... always a variety and never a short supply.
My specialities in those days were scones, milktart and chocolate cake. As something to do with the boys when they were at pre-primary we had an afternoon of baking every week. It was a time we could spend together having fun and they not only learned fine motor skills with l mixing and patting and rolling, but they  also learned math with measuring and taking instruction from the recipe.
I will never forget the day that we made scones and Matthew pounded his dough like he was making a mud pie. I told him to calm down, he had to treat it gently otherwise his scones would not rise. Our scones went into the oven and the boys waited patiently (another skill to learn) while they baked. Well when those scones came out of the oven who looked the fool for producing the flattest scones? Yes, it was me... and whose scones rose the highest? Yes, they were Matthew's.
Baking these days is not to feed my family treats but to earn much needed income. Every creation I bake and decorate gives me huge pleasure and satisfaction and I thank the Lord for blessing me with a gift, a talent, that I can use to help our family.














No comments:

Post a Comment