Sunday, January 26, 2014

7 Weeks and Growing Strong

Our "Mister" is growing into a fine young lad and today he is 7 weeks old...can you believe it is so long ago that he first entered into this world in the early hours of a Sunday morning.  I still remember when I told my mum that he had been born she was quite surprised as she reckoned that in all the 11 months of Switch being pregnant I had never mentioned it to her....  \\

It is amazing how from week to week he changes and at the moment he is looking a tad moth eaten as he is losing his 'foal' coat.  Not having seen a foal grow from birth we were a bit worried when we noticed around his nostrils and eyes he started to look quite patchy...the rings around his eyes are growing bigger and bigger as is the bareness on his snout.  I wondered if it might be mange, and even if such a young horse could get mange, so I was quite relieved to find out that it is all part of growing up.  Once he has lost his foal coat he will probably be a slightly different colour too.  Whether he will become as dark as Navajo I don't know but I do think he will be darker as the skin where he has lost hair already is still dark and not light like Switch's.  This morning he nipped me on my arm with his five teeth....lucky he was playing and not serious otherwise he could have hurt me quite badly instead of just giving me a bruise...and two days ago he was frolicking around, prancing, kicking up his back legs and suddenly his kick connected with the side of his mothers belly.  He was quite unaware of what he had done and she was not expecting that to happen.  It took a few seconds for her to get her footing again after nearly being knocked for a six.   When he was born he also had quite a lot of really long whiskers on his chin which looked quite weird but they seem to have either fallen out or become darker in colour so they are not as noticeable.  It's for sure that Titan is quite at home with us and his surroundings and I guess the next step will be to have him mix with the other horses instead of just sniffing at them over the fence...

not a clear pic but you can see how he is losing his hair around his snout

and around his eyes





No comments:

Post a Comment