Saturday, January 4, 2014

Official Anniversary

Today Johan and I have officially been married for 32 years and I can honestly say I don't know where the time has gone.  Johan was 22 and I was 20 when we walked down the aisle all those years ago...the first to marry between all our friends, we enjoyed many years together before attending someone else's wedding.

I was intrigued to meet Johan as I heard some in the office speaking about him before he started at our offices....not because he was famous or anything like that but he was the nephew of  one the ladies in personnel and had recently finished a year at Bible College.  So the first morning I saw him walking down the passage I must say I was impressed by what I saw.  The long and the short of our story is that we ended up getting married.

Our wedding date was set for the 9th January 1982, my aunt and uncle came over from the UK for Christmas and stayed for our wedding.  Right up to the week before, everything was going as planned...then suddenly the Monday before, our minister phoned my mum at home to say that he had been called away urgently and he wouldn't be back to marry us on Saturday.  There would be a lay preacher who could perform the ceremony for us but we would have to go to church that afternoon to perform an official ceremony...and so we did.  The date was 4th January, 5 days before we had planned, it was just Johan and I, our minister and my parents as witnesses.  I remember our minister saying to my parents that we are officially married and so the date that appears on our marriage certificate and in our ID books is the fourth, even though we only had the ceremony - as planned - on the 9th.

Unique, yes, to us anyway, and for 32 years we have celebrated a double anniversary every year....

engaged...

married...

No comments:

Post a Comment