Saturday, March 29, 2014

Growing Sugar Cane

For some time I looked at these 'grasses' growing in the vegetable garden and kept meaning to ask Johan what they were and why he was cultivating them.  They did not look familiar to me at all and as the weeks turned into months, I one day remembered to ask him what they were. By this time they had become huge...much taller than the shade cloth covering them as they bend over from being suppressed.  It is in fact sugar cane, planted from pieces given by a friend for the budgies.  Never before have I heard or seen anyone giving their budgies sugar cane, but I have now seen with my own eyes how much they enjoy it and within a day devour a piece to shreds of 'string'.  You live and learn so it seems and what works for one can more than likely work for another....sugar cane has now become part of our birds weekly diet which they have shown to enjoy immensely...







No comments:

Post a Comment