Saturday, November 16, 2013

Koeksusters...

NiQi arrived home from work yesterday with a huge bag of koeksusters....enough to give us all diabetes and make our teeth fall out...lol  There is a business in the same centre where she works that makes and distributes probably the best made koeksusters in Pretoria and yesterday they decided to 'distribute' those that are close to their sell by date to people near to them...how lucky are we....hehe

I have to say though my late mother-in-law was undoubtedly the best koeksuster maker in the country. She produced them time and time again to absolute perfection and I say that because they were exactly the way I like to eat them.....crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, so that when you bit into it the juice would run out and drizzle down your chin.  I realize that it was probably because she made them so frequently that they turned out so well, she just had that knack that no one else seems to have.  She passed away in June 1995 and since then I have scoured the land....haha....for anyone to come anywhere near as close to perfection with their koeksusters.  You realize this involves much tasting and testing and for a connoisseur of them as I must be by now, it can definitely be classified as 'hard work'.....let me have another sample now just to make sure...

What is left over this morning...served on a dinner plate....

1 comment: