Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tax Time...

In keeping with clearing the clutter I am also trying to get rid of paperwork....paperwork you rarely look at, let alone study in detail but you have to keep for the dreaded tax man and return of earnings every year.

Matthew asked me months ago to get all the facts and figures together so he could do the returns and I started, I promise, but I didn't finish....and almost every week since then I sort of give the pile of papers a cursory glance, shuffle one or two around, get bored and leave it.

EEEEEEEEEK.....now its deadline date and Matthew is going to be so not impressed with me for leaving everything to the last minute, but now I reaaaaaaaaally have to knuckle down and get it done.  I just don't enjoy it, that's the honest truth.

Living where we do we don't have post delivered to our door, so we have a post box at our closest Post Office....very convenient I must say, but I don't visit it very often.  Most times it is filled with post for the people who had the box before us....I mean really you would think that after almost 9 years they might have let their medical aid and shops they have store cards for and insurances etc. know, that they have moved on in life, wouldn't you?  For the first year or so I used to send them back....crossing out the name and address and writing a huge RTS on the envelopes.  Not that any of that mattered because the very next month the same places would send new accounts, magazines or whatever it is they put in the post for the month, to the same box again.  So then I spoke to the postmaster and asked his advise, which I may not repeat because at the time he said to me...'You did not hear it from me, but I recommend....'   so now I just chuck it all in the bin and it all gets burned with the rest of my rubbish.

What does arrive for us though, is always placed on a pile...a pile to be opened at my convenience.  Well my convenience happens to be once a year when compiling all my facts and figures for the tax return....seriously it does, I kid you not, not something I am proud to admit either, but things are changing around here....

So today I have decided to make my life simpler and I just know it will work better too.  Instead of having all these envelopes to open and then making little piles, I have emailed them all and asked them to send me 'e-statements'.  Behind the times I may be in this regard for saving the environment, but I'm proud of myself for taking charge and ridding myself of all of this work.  From now on I will be able to download them and immediately cut them to the folders I have already opened....roll on 2014 and the next season, I will be ready for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolo looking to me for inspiration...

If I sit on them maybe they will disappear...

So this one goes here then?...

No comments:

Post a Comment