Friday, February 21, 2014

E-tolls

LlvgMuch has been written and said about the new E-Toll system on the Gauteng roads between Pretoria and Johannesburg and now I am going to have my say too...out of absolute frustration!!!!!!

Firstly I don't knowkplw the heck SANRAL managed to get my cell phone number lnd then made the connection between me allml Johan...huh...but they did!!!!!!  It's not my vehicle that is being used on the road but Johan's....okay so I or NiQi  may have been using it, but still I don't see why I am the one that is being harassed almost every week with SMS's to my phone, telling me how mllllch money I owe them....and it seems to be growing in leaps and bounds even though we only travel the route once a month.

It costs me R300 in fuel to make a return trip to Charlotte Maxeke hospital and I seem to be billed more than half that amount in toll fees now too.  I don't like the fact that there is blatant discrimination between those who have bought an 'e-tag'  and those who have opted not to.  Where is our democratic right to have a choice in this matter?  The powers that be seem to think that if you choose not to purchase a tag for your car, then it is their choice to bill you almost double the amount per toll, than those who do have a tag.  That is surely unfair practise and unconstitutional.

When we received our first statement, and at this point the only statement, probably due to the postal strike, I was so confused by the varied amounts given to be paid that it just made no sense at all.  I promptly wrote them a letter, querying it all and asked for a break down, instead of quoting a lump sum amount, as well as an explanation of the discounted amounts versus the full amounts if the monies were paid over before a certain date.  This 'discounted' date happened to be before we even received the statement in the first place, so how did they expect me to pay it by then???  Must I make a note of every single toll that I go under, add it up and then travel to one of their pay stations hoping that my math is correct and if it isn't, have to make my way back again.

Things would have been a whole lot simpler if they had stuck to the prototype toll gate where we all stop and pay as we go through. It would have saved them money surely to set it up this way and then also stop all this cloning of number plates that people have been doing, or driving without a number plate, to get out of paying tolls.  In the long run they are going to lose money as people think up more and more ways to get out of paying.  I will pay the tolls if I am treated fairly and charged the same as those with an e-tag, after all it is the right thing to do....I may not like it, and be severely irked by the added expense to my monthly budget, but pay it I will.  Right now though I am waiting with baited breath to hear what the outcome of my correspondence to them is....















No comments:

Post a Comment