Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mole/s in the Garden

Whenever I think of moles I think of the story 'The Wind in the Willows'  with Rat, Mole, Toad and Badger...such earthy little creatures who spent much of their time on the river.  I still have my copy of this book packed away somewhere, waiting for a small child for whom I can read it...lol

So you see when I wake in the morning and see mounds of soil crisscrossing my garden making their way either to or from the vegetable garden, I cannot help but feel like it is all part of a story book.  Johan brings me back to reality though when he too looks out of the window, sees the same mounds and in a veritable manner says...'well say goodbye to your vegetables'...no longer do I think of 'Mole' and 'Toad' in a whimsical way, but rather open the back door, chase all six dogs outside and give the command 'seek'.

William, my poor old blind cocker spaniel was the first to find something out of the ordinary and as I watched a new pile of soil surfacing, he was there digging away, nose to the ground, trying his best to find this pesky critter that dared to enter his domain.

This is the first time that we have had a mole or maybe more than one mole in our garden and I wonder if it is because there is so much more area for it/them to venture under the ground that they haven't ever made their way close.  I used to think it is because our soil is so dry and sandy that it didn't suit their habitat, but quite obviously my thinking is incorrect.

So whether it/they made their way from the back of the property or the front, I do not know, but they do seem to be here to stay for a while.   I imagine that this appears to be quite a storage pantry of delectable delicacies as they munch their way through the vastness of our sweet potato patch....whatever, it has been about a week since we saw the first mounds and every day the dogs are sniffing and searching and digging, but none have been slow enough to be caught...which is probably a good thing because what would I do if I saw one of the dogs lolloping toward me with 'Mole' dangling from their mouth....

The Wind in the Willows







No comments:

Post a Comment