Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentines Day...the day of love?

Today is Valentines day and if history is anything to go on in the Lucas home it isn't much different to any other day of the year...lol

Johan will be the first to admit that he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body and as hard as I have tried to convert him over the years, I have now given up and come to terms with the fact that he will not change, he is who he is and I will love him all the same. I fully put the blame for my romanticism on Barbara Cartland and Mills and Boon, who repeatedly spun webs of love and romance and mysticism that gave promises of 'forever after' in my teenage years... and even though Johan isn't as romantic as I might like, I feel that I have enough in me for both of us and every year I continue to give out little surprizes...under his pillow...in his lunch box...tucked in his briefcase...wherever...

So last weekend when at the shops I was looking for something small for Johan and in Woolies came across a small pack of jelly worms which was captioned  "Catch of the Day.  You have my Heart"  When I saw them I was reminded of many years ago, before Johan and I were married.

We were both working at Transport, and Johan drew and cut out a 'rainbow' fish which he hung with a paperclip attached to a string on a pencil and over the front of his desk.  It became a joke every time I was in his office with his colleagues about what he was trying to catch....aaaah young love.  Anyway I saw them, I bought them and somehow I thought he would remember the same thing as me.

I put them in his lunch box with a few other treats and when he came home I asked him what the jelly worms reminded him of...well he went through every fishing trip we've ever been on together but it wasn't what I was looking for!!!!!  When I reminded him, he looked blank...he couldn't remember his fish at all.  Too long ago or it just meant more to me than it did to him.

The best thing about today though is that after many years, Johan did manage to buy me a card and some chocolates - probably at the insistence of NiQi...lol

Aaaah the romance of Valentines day and everything that goes with it...

from my darling hubby



NiQi gave me this flower with some Ferrera Roche choccies




No comments:

Post a Comment