Saturday, October 12, 2013

Clutch Plate and Christmas!!!!

Johan coerced me into going to town with him this morning.....

 To be honest I didn't really want to because I hardly slept a wink last night....long story, but Johan's phone must have gone off about 6 times during the night with messages and calls.  I only have a few hours of beauty sleep a night so to keep having it interrupted made me quite grumpy this morning. So, even though I didn't feel like it, I did the 'good wifey' thing and went with him.

We went to buy a new clutch plate and pressure plate for the bakkie - which might finally be fixed by the end of the weekend.  BIG HOOOOORAY!!!!!!  Any way we went into AutoZone which if anyone doesn't know it, is like a supermarket for car spares.  As we walked in through the entrance, I immediately noticed to my left, a large display of really funky bright coloured kettles and I thought to myself, 'why does a car spares shop, stock kettles?'  On moving further in, on our way to the back of the shop where the spares are, I noticed ice makers, bar fridges, camping equipment and even more...but my absolute surprize, the creme de la creme of it all was, olive oil and bottled olives!!!!!  Now I ask you with tears in my navy blue eyes....which by the way I don't have as my eyes are brown.... what on earth is the reason for branching out a cars spares shop in such a diverse manner. You realize that this is the very reason that small businesses don't survive and our economy is up the bean pole.

Years ago, we had an exclusive gift shop which sold glass wear, china, kitchen wear, photo frames, cards and gift papers, serviettes, gift items and general home things that make lovely gifts for weddings, special birthdays and that sort of thing.  I really started to get cheesed off though when the pharmacy in the same centre started to sell things that we sell...then the supermarket branched out into selling glass wear too, some of which were the same make and style as we stocked.   But it didn't stop there, the newsagent further into the centre started selling the same gift wear as us too.  I almost expected to see the bank start selling piggy banks.  I complained to our land lord who was unperturbed, and didn't see any problem in a little competition, as he said.  Well that was my cue to get out of business...lucky our lease was coming to an end, so we opted not to re-new it and closed up shop.  I understand fully how the character Meg Ryan played, felt, when her book shop had competition from Joe Fox of  'Fox Books' in the movie, 'You've Got Mail'....and maybe that is the reason it is my favourite movie, because I find it easy to relate to.

I think it's high time that businesses went back to the way they used to be...that a post office is where you post a parcel, buy stamps and collect items too large for your post box...and a petrol station just sells fuel...and the green grocer only sells fresh produce...as it used to be in the old days...and maybe our economy will stand a chance to get back on it's feet with all the new jobs that can be created.

Well from there we went to the supermarket... which sells everything under the sun - but I'm off that topic now, lol...just to pick up a few items, like bread and milk.

Standing in the queue......which annoyed Johan as he counted 4 tellers open out of a possible 10, and we had to stand for ages before paying....I looked up and ahead of me and noticed Christmas decorations!!!! Wreaths and swags and by the entrance a tree which we hadn't noticed when we entered the shop and when we finally reached the teller, even marshmallow Father Christmas sweets.  There was no music to jolly things up whilst standing in the queue and I know this is the kind of thing that annoys some people, but it really doesn't bother me.  Christmas is an important time of year and I reckon that the longer people think about it, the better...that's just my opinion.  Ooh I can't wait for the beginning of December when we decorate inside our home, it is the highlight of my year....




No comments:

Post a Comment