Sunday, October 27, 2013

Santa Shoe box Project

The Santa Shoe box project is now well under way.  Three days of collecting pledges throughout the country has seen thousands of boxes coming in for the under-privileged.

Last year we made up boxes and delivered them to the other side of Pretoria and this year our options were wider for a delivery closer to home....quicker for travelling and less in fuel...lol

I must say it has been more difficult for me to collect shoe boxes this year, not having bought any shoes....how sad is that...and every where I went to ask, they either told me they destroy the boxes of shoes packed out or shoes these days are delivered in bulk with no boxes.  Thankfully I managed to find 7...yes I know I said before that we had pledged 6 boxes, but my finger must have clicked on an extra name as when I printed out the labels, there were 7!!!!!

Always having plenty of Christmas gift wrap in the house didn't pose a problem for wrapping, it just took time. Each box must have taken at least an hour to do, but I wanted to make them look neat and well worth wanting to open....after all these are for kiddies who live in homes and have very little other than the basics offered by the homes.  Shopping was both exciting and stressful, haha...exciting because I love to shop for others and stressful because I had to be quite frugal whilst making sure that each box was filled with what was on the check list.  The check list included clothing, toothpaste, tooth brush, soap, face cloth, toy, something educational, sweets and anything extra we wanted to put inside....not that there was any space left in the box after packing all that in, but exciting it all was.

We delivered yesterday morning and this year they took our details to invite us to the parties where they give out our presents.  I hope it will be on a day and at a time when we can all go as I would love to see the faces of the 'littlies' that we made up the boxes for....oooh I hope they will be as excited as I am.
NiQi with the first two boxes

each box has a label with the child's name and age, who it is from and contents...

all 7 boxes

poster for the project

sign outside drop off point

information table

giving our details for the party

some of the boxes collected that morning

ladies packing up boxes with goodies dropped off




helpers 'checking in' the boxes

working behind the scenes

No comments:

Post a Comment