Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pre Christmas Thoughts

It's almost the end of October and making up these Christmas boxes for the Santa Shoebox Project made me think I better start getting my act together for us this year.

I like to dream...I'm a big dreamer...of the things I would like to give my family and friends as gifts for Christmas, but as you can imagine the last couple of years have been quite tight with money.  Gone are the days when throughout the year I would shop and if I saw anything that reminded me of a friend of family member I would buy it and put it away for later.  I had a kist always full of goodies and I would take great pleasure when it comes close to Christmas time, unpacking it and with delight remember all the shopping trips I had when I saw everything inside.  These days the kist is only full of wrapping paper, gift bags and ribbons...waiting to be used on anything that may come along.

So today I thought I would surf the web, haha, and look for ideas for people.  Mentally I made a note of those who are on my 'shopping list' and as I typed in different titles to search for I scanned all the pictures and clicked on or downloaded any that looked vaguely interesting.  I now have a folder on my stick which is brimming with great ideas.  If I really get myself well organised I can hopefully get them all done...especially those that need to be posted overseas, or be taken down to KZN.  Those that are for Pretoria area can be made right up to the last minute, but still I need to get cracking.

I remember for many years I made Christmas tree decorations...I started the year that Matthew was born, that was 1984, and every year until he turned 18 I made them.  They all started off being made in felt and over the years I adapted them...found quicker or easier ways to make them, decorated them differently...and then later I introduced others....beaded ones and some made with pegs, others with pom-poms and more were then knitted.  There are a couple of friends who every year, if we see them at Christmas time, remind me that they still have the decorations they bought from me so many years ago.  Come July, out would come my felt and pattern pieces I drew up and I would sit every day cutting, stitching and decorating...all are hand stitched so it isn't a quick production line, but each one I finished I would look at with pleasure.  Maybe I should think of some new designs and make a brand new range...hmmm that's a plan.

But for today, I have my folder with gift ideas and now all I have to do is look through my crafty bits and pieces, do a bit of re-cycling, raid Johan's shed for wood, nails, paint and glue and then I can get cracking.....


                                      





No comments:

Post a Comment