Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hair and Lifts...lol

When we went down to KZN for the wedding my sister, Sara, sent NiQi home with some colour for her hair...Sara is an amazing person and I love her to bits.  I think as we get older we love our family and those close to us more and more and especially so when you live so far away from each other.  Anyway, I digress from the topic of conversation...Sara is a hairdresser by profession and she loves what she does.  She always only ever wanted to be a hairdresser, nothing else, why I don't know and I've never really asked.  When she was an apprentice she entered a number of competitions and did very well.  One year she earned a place in the South African hairdressing team and went to the U.S.A. for the world championships.  Needless to say, when Sara needed a hair 'model' then sometimes I would step in to help out.  I remember the first time she cut my hair, I had a fringe in those days, and that day she learned that when hair is dry it springs up....guess what my fringe looked like...hehe.   I must be a very forgiving person though as I went back to her over and over to allow her to practice on my hair.  I had colours, mutliple colours, perms and cuts and maybe I did get my own back on her one day when I trimmed Matthew's hair when he was a toddler...She told me in no uncertain terms never ever to touch my childrens' hair again.  Anyway with Sara giving NiQi a colour to put in her hair, guess what, I became a hairdresser!!! Yesterday, NiQi decided it was time to put her colour in and so under the direction of my daughter I managed to do it for her.  If I don't say so myself I think I managed to evenly distribute it  and in the sunlight, it glows a golden red, just what the doctor ordered...  :)


I have to share this next tale with any who may be reading this...
Johan was stuck in the lift at work yesterday!!!  Apparently it had been broken and the lift company arrived to repair it.  Some time later, in fact much later, after they had gone off site, Johan thought it might be a good idea to check that it was in working order...stepped inside, closed the door and the lift didn't move...but the door didn't open either!!!! Poor man was stuck inside for two and a half hours before the lift technician returned to release him. Thank goodness he had his cell phone on him so he was able to take a 'selfie' of his poor pathetic looking face and  send it to NiQi's phone so she would feel sorry for him.


As much as we laughed at his 'feel sorry for me' look, I did feel for him as I remember an incident from many many years ago...before we were married in fact.  We worked in the same government department, on the same floor and in offices next door to each other and every friday afternoon there was communal tea for all employees in the main hall.  I remember  that on this particular day, almost the entire floor went down together to tea and when we had finished, all clambered into the lift to go back to the office.  OOPS...the lift stopped running between floors and became stuck. Maybe it was because we were so many of us together, or the fact that it was Friday afternoon, or even just because we were young and nothing worried us, but we thought it so funny...for a while...then as time went by and we still hadn't been rescued, we began to get worried and terrible thoughts like 'lifts plummeting to the ground floor' entered into the conversation.  Our only consolation was that we were altogether, so it didn't seem so bad.  Let me tell you though, were we ecstatic when the doors were prised open and we were pulled out.  Working on the top floor of the building after that just made us all fitter as we none of us used the lift for a very long time.  So lifts and Johan are not friends...even more so now. lol


No comments:

Post a Comment