Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Still waiting for our baby...

We have discovered that waiting for a foal to be born is the same as waiting for your own baby to arrive...you know the due date and it may arrive at any time from 2 -3 weeks further on, in short, the suspense is killing us.

I said to Johan yesterday that I think I am going to camp out in the stable from now on so that we are sure not to miss the whole event.  I thought it to be a mighty fine idea, that is until Johan casually mentioned that there are all sorts of creepy crawlies moving around outside at night and if I can't see them but do feel them then I may be doing a dance of distress instead of elation.  So the sleeping bag will stay in the cupboard and I will have to keep making my way outside to have a peek every hour or so.  At 2 am this morning I thought that maybe it is time, as when I went outside she was lying down, not a position we have seen her in, in a while...alas at 3 am and again at 4 am and 5 am she was up and eating...

Switch is picking up weight by the day as we see her growing before our eyes.  She suddenly has a voracious appetite and eats almost 24 hours a day.  NiQi read that when a horse loses its' appetite, then their time is close, so by all accounts, this foal is nowhere near making an appearance yet.  Johan has nicknamed her 'Titanic' and I am leaning towards 'Blue Whale'

This foal only has 4 more days to make an appearance before NiQi goes into hospital and if it hasn't arrived by that time then she is going to put a cork in place to keep it inside until she comes home....






No comments:

Post a Comment