Monday, December 16, 2013

Time to come home

Johan is coming home today after being away for 6 days and I must say I've missed him for more than one reason. Not only is his non presence felt around here but I have a new appreciation for his contribution to the early morning shift.

Granted I do most of the work... hehe...but I note now that his share is quite substantial.  It's not like I have never carried the load before, because I have, on numerous ocassions, but this time has become quite tedious to say the least.

I think it must be because this is the first time he has been away with close to 50 pairs of budgies breeding.  Each pair has to be fed a bowl of soft food, given seed and fresh water and that is just the feeding part of it. I also have to check the nest boxes morning and night; top up with sawdust if the hens have kicked out too much; check, count and mark the eggs laid; see if any chicks have hatched and note the date in the file and lastly make sure the chicks are being well fed. That is not all though, as I must put any really young chicks that have bravely 'left home' back into the nest boxes, otherwise they will not be fed. AND THEN....I must be on the alert for anything unusual - like last night I rescued a chick dangling upside down on the outside of the nestbox who had caught its leg between the nest box and the cage.  (picture included although not very good)

Anyway, with the heat wave we have been having and my usual chores, this extra hour and a half every morning has sure tired me out....so much so that for the rest of the day I am in slow mode and at the end of this time my job list is not completed.

So roll on later today when my much missed hubby will be back...and tomorrow morning will be a breeze...
PS.... I also want him back home so the mosquitoes have someone better to snack on...they have not left me alone for 6 days!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment