Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The birth of a foal...

So by now you know that we have a foal, but here's the behind the scenes story that ended in such delight.

From the time of her due date and preparations were made in eager anticipation, we were each of us like over anxious parents...checking up on her both during the day and through the night too.   Every time I woke for whatever reason, I popped outside and peeked inside the stable to see how Switch was doing, and hoping at each visit that I would catch her in time to see her foal being born.  We realized that the chances of her having it at night were quite high...but we were ready.

NiQi had her emergency medical kit with everything we may just need in case we needed to help at all -  although I was hoping that all would be well and if not then I would call our vet out.  Then there was also a kit with a torch, spare batteries for the camera, pen, paper...not sure what the last two items were for but anyway I see they were in there too.  The phones had to be charged as well as NiQi's ipad so we could take videos and photos... the plan was in place and all we needed was for Switch to oblige.

The Thursday evening, NiQi was quite disillusioned that almost two weeks had gone by, it was almost time for her to go to hospital and we were still waiting.  'Google' told her that 'we' may be the reason...over anxious 'parents' cause the mare to feel their concern and hold back on producing their young...lol.  Anyway to humour NiQi we decided we would all ignore Switch, not look at her or talk to her when we fed her or were outside for any reason...just totally ignore her.  Whether it worked or it was just time, who knows but Saturday night - which happened to be her last chance - we went to bed in anticipation.  I have to confess I prayed harder than ever about it and asked God to please let NiQi have the opportunity of seeing the foal before she left.  God heard my prayers...

The final part to this tale has to be that when I woke at 1.30 am, I willed myself not to go outside and look but at 3.30 am when I got up to start my day, I did go outside and in the dimness of the night I saw something standing right next to her.  Funnily enough I had picked up my phone and taken it outside with me, so I phoned Johan and told him.  Next minute I heard both Johan and NiQi coming and that was it for NiQi...she stayed up and watched in the early morning darkness until light broke.

So there is no video to share of the moment and there are no photo's either, but what we do have is one perfect creation and a very proud mama...

DAY 3....sleeping!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment